To take the online course, visit www.safeboatingalabama.com where you can access the FREE online study guides and take the online course FREE of charge- Pay ONLY if you pass the test!
Where can I get my Alabama Boater Education Card?
- Take the safe boating exam on the Internet by visiting www.safeboatingalabama.com
Access the FREE online study guides and take the online course FREE of charge- Pay ONLY if you pass the test!
In Alabama, all operators must either pass a state proficiency exam or complete a boater safety course approved by the Alabama Marine Patrol Division in order to operate a motorboat with greater than 15 hp. Boaters must carry their vessel operator's license as proof of boater education.
Boating Age Requirements
- Persons who are under the age of 12 may not, in any instance, operate a motorized vessel including personal watercraft
- Boat operators must be at least 12 years of age to receive their Alabama Boat Operators Certificate
The Boating Safety Enhancement Act which came into effect on January 1, 2002 set the minimum age for operating a motorized vessel without direct adult supervision at 14 years of age. However, there are certain exceptions to this rule; the following may operate a vessel without adult supervision:
- Residents of the state of Alabama who had obtained a Boat Operators Certificate prior to January 1, 2002
- Non-Residents aged between 12 and 14 years, who had obtained a Boat Operators Certificate in their home state prior to January 1, 2002
- A non-resident, 12 years old but less than 14 years old, who has not obtained an operator’s license or who has an operator license from his or her home state may not operate a vessel unless there is a person, 21 years old or older, with a valid operator’s license (unless a non-resident) on board and in a position to take immediate physical control of the vessel if necessary
- Non-residents 14 years old or older may operate alone in Alabama under the 45-day grace period
PWC operators in Alabama must be at least twelve (12) years old but cannot operate without adult supervision until at least fourteen (14) years of age.
Take the safe boating exam on the Internet by visiting www.safeboatingalabama.com